Dear Chattanooga State Family,
You did it! There is just one week left for final exams, and the fall 2021 semester is complete! Before you leave for your long break, be sure to register for your spring 2022 semester classes. This will give you one less thing to think about during the holidays, so you can focus on you and your family. More information about registration is below.
Until January, have a wonderful holiday break!
Student Spotlight: Elijah Hughes
Grateful For Your GivingTuesday Generosity
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Registration is Now Open
Achieve Your Goals
ChattState’s Literary Journal is Now Accepting Student Submissions
Complete Your FAFSA
Student Resources—We’re Here to Help
Student Life Events and Activities
We are resilient. We are innovative. We are united. We are ChattState.
Rebecca Ashford, Ed.D.
Elijah Hughes was awarded the Malco Power Tools “Head of the Class Award” In recognition of outstanding achievement in an autobody repair program. Elijah is a Collision Repair Technology student in Chattanooga State’s Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCAT) who will graduate in 2022. The class is taught by Timothy Chastain, who nominated Mr. Hughes.
Elijah, a Tennessee Promise student, hopes to further his career as a fabrication specialist. He currently works at Boyd Speedway and was presented the award based upon his creation of brackets from sheet metal. The award not only included a recognition certificate but came with the choice of a Malco TurboShear or TurboXTool, and a Malco cap. Elijah chose the TurboShear that transforms a drill into a metal-cutting shear. A quick demonstration of the tool proved that it cut through metal easily to make his work a breeze.
Because of the thoughtful and generous support of our Chattanooga State family and others in our community, this year the Chattanooga State Foundation’s Giving Tuesday campaign raised a total of $11,550! We are grateful to our anonymous donor for matching up to the first $3,000 which was greatly surpassed! Thank you to everyone who made your contribution and helped us raise this fantastic amount!
The ODEI will be closed due to renovations to our inaugural DEI Center. Please contact silang.sam@chattanoogastate,edu to schedule appointments and any other questions. We expect to re-open when we return in January.
Be sure to schedule an appointment with your advisor to get your PIN so that you can register for the courses and times you want.
We have resources on campus to help you achieve your goals, whether you are in a 7-week class or a 15-week class, we are here to help you succeed!
Located on the second floor of the IMC building, in room 225, the Math Center available to help students with all levels of Math. The center is equipped with over 180 computers for student use, and Math faculty and tutors are always available to assist students.
Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Whether you are having trouble getting started on an assignment or have a complete draft ready for review, our tutors are happy to help with any written assignment for any class.
- Chattanooga State offers FREE on-demand, online tutoring through Tutor.com. The service is easy to use and can be accessed from your instructor’s syllabus in eLearn. Tutors are available to you 24/7.
- Available computer labs across campus
- The library will be open and computers will be available for homework and online/virtual class attendance.
- Engineering and IT students will have access to Rooms 215 and 216 in the Wacker Institute on a first-come, first-served basis.
- TCAT students will have access to TCAT 60 and TCAT 38 computer labs. Please note, these labs may be closed for testing purposes a few times per week. You should confirm hours of operation with your TCAT instructors.
- Additional space may be made available as the need arises.
The Phoenix is now accepting submissions! For those who are unfamiliar, The Phoenix is Chattanooga State's Literary/Art Journal. Founded in 1982, the purpose of The Phoenix is to showcase the best work of Chattanooga State students. We are currently accepting poetry, short fiction, nonfiction, drama, art, and photography, and especially interested in works that explore what it means to live during turmoil, such as we’ve experienced in 2020. Students can submit up to 3 poems, 6 photos or art pieces, and 1,500 words of prose to ThePhoenix@ChattanoogaState.edu. The submission deadline for this issue is January 31, 2022.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for next year, 2022-2023 opened October 1. If you will be enrolling in classes at any school as of July 1st, 2022, you will want to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible to have the best chance at any first come, first served scholarships, grants, or loans. Submitting the FAFSA early also gives you a head start on completing any financial aid requirements or determining your financial aid eligibility. Some schools also use the summer semester or period as the start of their financial aid award year, so you will need to complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA for next summer, if you find out that it is needed at whatever school where you plan to enroll.
The Federal Student Aid website gives you a lot of information about filling out the FAFSA, and about how financial aid works. For the 2022-2023 year, you will use your 2020 tax and income information for both you and your parent(s) or step-parent(s), if you are under 24 years old, or you and your spouse if you are considered “independent” on the FAFSA by age or special circumstances. If something in your family or financial situation has changed since filing taxes in 2020, and your household income is different, contact the Financial Aid Office after completing the FAFSA (using your 2020 financial information) about possible adjustments to the information in your federal aid application.
- Tutoring: ChattState offers in-person and virtual tutoring services.
- Emergency Aid: The Student Support Center is available to assist students struggling to meet their basic needs. Please use the Wellness Check on TigerWeb to let us know if you need assistance.
- Technology Support: Devices (laptops, hotspots, etc.) are available through the College. To request a device, complete the technology request form. Technology will continue to be available for students as long as they remain enrolled.
- Support Services: Chattanooga State is dedicated to delivering support services and resources to assist our students. Visit the virtual Student Support Center to learn more about the many services offered.
- Academic Resources: Visit the Fall 2021 Update page for a listing of academic resources, including links to the Math Center, Andrews Reading and Writing Center, the Testing Center, Kolwyck Library, and more.
- Student Assistance Library Campus Guide: We now have a Campus Guide for students to provide assistance with eLearn / Virtual Classes / Proctoring / Accessibility / etc.
- Career Services Center: The Career Services Center is available to provide services online or by phone to Chattanooga State students, alumni, faculty and staff. Services include career counseling & assistance with selecting a major, job search planning, resume writing assistance, interview skills, and more. Visit JOBlink to view job and internship opportunities. To schedule an appointment for any service, please call 423-697-4421 or email email@example.com. The Career Services Virtual Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Food: The Tiger Cupboard provides supplemental food and other necessities for students in need.
- Tennessee Board of Regents Student Resources: We know that the global COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak has been causing a great deal of uncertainty, anxiety, and stress for students across Tennessee. Please know that you are not alone.
- Ride CARTA for Free: Chattanooga State students may ride CARTA for free with a valid ChattState ID through August 31, 2022. This agreement covers all routes.
All students are welcome to join! Check out your Student Life Calendar of Events—we have lots of events scheduled—join us!