Use this Respiratory Care (RESP) application checklist as a guide for successfully completing the application process for the college and the RESP program. All application materials must be received on or before May 15 of each year.
Complete College Enrollment
For consideration for program admittance, you must have completed Chattanooga State enrollment before the program deadline. If you are not a current student at Chattanooga State, please complete a College application online and choose “Credit Division” then choose “Respiratory Care”. Successful completion of all admission requirements to Chattanooga State entails:
- Submitting all official transcripts, vaccination, proof of citizenship, etc.
- Testing (if applicable)
- Orientation (if applicable)
Go to the admission status page to check on your admission status.
Once College Enrollment is Complete
Meet with an advisor to develop your academic plan. All learning support classes should be completed first (if applicable). The prerequisite and general education classes will lighten the load once in the program. Points are awarded for completed courses in the selection process. Please call (423) 697-4450 to set up an advising appointment. Note: To help you understand the program acceptance process, important details, etc., attend a Respiratory Care information session.
If taking classes at another college and applying directly to the program: Start Chattanooga State admission process early. Be sure to include transcripts that you are presently taking even though in progress. As soon as final grades are posted, have your transcript sent immediately to Chattanooga State Admissions Office to be evaluated. This way you can be fully admitted by the program deadline date.
Program Requirements before Deadline:
- Attend an RESP information session to obtain an explanation of the application process. (The info session you attend must be within 12 months prior to your intended start in the program.)
- Take the TEAS test. Sign up early; spaces fill up fast. For more information about the TEAS test and registration form, visit the ATI TEAS website.
To be included in the Respiratory Care Program applicant pool:
- Must be fully admitted to the college to be able to complete the online Respiratory Care Application.
- Must maintain a “C” or better in all courses
- Must have a minimal Program GPA of 2.5 or greater
- TEAS score at least 60% composite from Math, Reading, English, and Science on the TEAS test
- It's strongly recommended that applicants submit a 500-word essay describing why they would like to become a Respiratory Therapist.
Remember: The point calculation assessment will include spring courses in progress at the time of the application deadline. Therefore, if you do not attend Chattanooga State, immediately after your spring grades are posted, send your final transcript to the Chattanooga State Admission Office so they can be evaluated.
Submit Program Application and Required Materials
Completed College Enrollment is required before applying to the Respiratory Care Program. The Tiger ID and password are needed to complete the online application. All admission requirements must be completed before attempting to apply. Once the admission process is complete, a Tiger ID and password will be sent to you. This will be needed to log in to the application system.
Complete the Allied Health Online Application and attach the following documents to the application.
- Copy of TEAS Results that you want to use in your point calculation. View ATI TEAS website for all important details before and after taking the TEAS test.
- Copy of your Point Summary calculations found under Selection/Point Calculation on the Respiratory Care website
- Submit up to a 500-word essay (optional) describing why you want to become a Respiratory Therapist.