The Practical Nursing (PN) program is designed to prepare its graduates to successfully pass the State Board of Nursing licensure exam. PN students will receive both the theoretical knowledge and the clinical experiences needed to give competent and safe bedside nursing care at the practical nursing level.
To be eligible for admissions to the PN program, students must complete Anatomy and Physiology I and II and Medical Mathematics with a grade of 81% or better as pre-requisites to the program. A separate application process for admissions to the PN must be submitted. Each class size is limited and students are admitted based on a competitive point system. Please contact the PN office for additional information on the admissions process.
The PN program operates on approval status with the Tennessee Board of Nursing. Once approval is received in February, we anticipate admitting a summer 2018 class. We plan to offer PN classes that start in May, August, and January.
Upon completion of the PN program (having passed the pre-NCLEX exam with a score of 850 or higher and having met all other program requirements) students are eligible to take the NCLEX license exam from the Tennessee State Board of Nursing.
For more information, please contact the PN office at 423-697-4447 or email Judy Kitson at Judy.Kitson@ChattanoogaState.edu
This program is designed for the student to acquire basic nursing skills in order to successfully function in the entry level role of a Licensed Practical Nurse. The program is three semesters in length which is consecutively. You must go through the application process in order to be considered for the program.
Students who are selected for the program are able to register once they have attended an orientation session with the director of the program.
- Practical Nursing is a full-time program
- Enrollment is limited to 36 students in each class
- Students must complete 1306 hours, of the 1357 total program hours, in order to graduate from the PN program.
|Fall (487 hours)||7:45 am – 3:00||Monday - Friday|
|Spring (487 hours)||7:45 am – 3.00||Monday - Friday|
|Summer (383 hours)||7:45 am – 3:15||Monday - Friday|
|Supply Kit (estimate)||$ 150.00|
Special Fees Charged in Addition to Maintenance and Tuition
- Credit by Examination Fee - The regular course fee is charged for each special examination and must be paid prior to taking the examination. Non-refundable. (See Academic Regulations.)
- Credit for Life Experience Fees - Assessment Fee for Experiential Learning $45.00. Experiential Learning Credit $15.00 per credit hour in excess of 3.0 credit hours. $90.00 maximum.
- GED Testing Fee - $65.00.
- Placement Test Fees - ACT - $45.00. (Refer to Admissions Policy.)
- Under extenuating circumstances, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, at his/her discretion, may grant an exception to these fees.
Adult Health Nursing-VST E-BK 7e 9780323100151 Calculation of Drug Dosages 9 Ogden 9780323077538 EAQ Adult Hlth Nsg (AC) 7 Cooper, Gosnell & Elsevier 9780323328845 Hum Body in Hlth & DIS 6E (SC) Patton & Thibodeau 9780323101240 Human Body in Hlth/Dis-VST E-BK6 IPatton & Thibodeau 9780323113540 Mos Nrsg Vid Skills-Stdt Vers DVD4e Mosby 9780323088633 Mosby 2015 Nursing Drug Ref 28e Skidmore-Roth & Skidmore-Roth 9780323278010 Mosby Diagnostic & Lab Test Ref 12 Pagana, Pagana & Pagana 9780323225762 Mosby Dict Med, Nrg & HP-VST E-BK 9 Mosby 9780323168816 Mosby PDQ for LPN 3e Mosby 9780323084475 Saunders Comp Rev NCLEX-PN Exam 6 Silvestri 9780323289313 SG for Adult Health Nursing 7e Cooper & Gosnell 9780323112215 SG Human Body Hlth&Disease 6 Swisher, Patton & Thibodeau 9780323101257 ULRICH & CANALE'S NRG CRE PLAN GDE7 Haugen & Galura 9781437701746
- Fundamentals of Nursing
- Vocational Relations
- Normal Nutrition
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Geriatric Nursing
- Introduction to Medical Surgical Nursing
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Diet Therapy
- Administration of Drugs for Medical Therapy
- Maternal/OB Nursing with Pharmacology
- Pediatric Nursing with Pharmacology
- Advanced Medical Surgical Nursing with Pharmacology