A.A.S. Engineering Systems Technology, Mechatronics Systems Concentration
The Engineering and Information Technologies Division at Chattanooga State and Volkswagen Group of America in Chattanooga have teamed up to create the Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP). This concentration is essential to optimizing functionality of modern engineering systems blending mechanical, electrical, and informational systems. This program offers students an innovative approach that will blend classroom and laboratory instruction with paid first hand experience in the Volkswagen plant.
Curriculum Details | FAQs
Requirements to Apply
- Have a high school diploma or GED (transcripts required from each school)
- Currently at college level in reading, writing and mathematics based on placement scores
- Must be fully admitted to the College meeting all Admissions Requirements
- Interview with the selection committee
- Pass the Volkswagen assessment test
- Pass a physical, drug test and background check (paid for by Volkswagen)
Steps to Apply
Step 1: Attend an Information Session
Information Sessions are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at 5:30 pm at the Volkswagen Academy in room 10-800 (Volkswagen Academy, 7469 Volkswagen Drive, Chattanooga, TN 37416) RSVP: 423-582-3061
Step 2: Apply for admission – Parts A & B
Note: Applicants Must Submit Two (2) Applications as shown in parts A and B.
Part A: Apply to the College
List major code as ESYT with a course code of MES (for Mechatronics Systems).
Part B: Apply to the Volkswagen Apprenticeship
Submit a VW Apprenticeship job application on Volkswagen’s job website. (If the link above does not work go to: www.vwjobschattanooga.com Click on “External Candidates Apply Here” and search for: Apprenticeship - Automation Mechatronics Program.)
Step 3: Take the ACCUPLACER Diagnostic test
Prospective Mechatronic Systems applicants must be at college level in Reading, Writing and Mathematics. To demonstrate proficiency in these areas, applicants must provide a current (within the past five years) ACT scores, SAT Scores or take the college ACCUPLACER test. Minimum scores needed for each of these tests are listed below. Students who have attended college before may submit a college transcript that shows a passing grade of “C” or better in a mathematics course and a course that requires reading/writing (Composition, history, psychology, sociology, etc.) Chattanooga State offers the Residual ACT test and the ACCUPLACER test for students who need to take either one for admission.
Step 4: Interview with the Mechatronics Systems Admissions Committee and complete an Assessment Test.
Students who meet the admissions criteria will be contacted to schedule an interview with the Mechatronics Systems Admissions Committee and complete a Volkswagen assessment test.
Step 5: Submit to a physical and background check through Volkswagen
Following the interview, selected students must complete and pass the physical and a background checks to be admitted into the program.
Step 7: See an academic advisor in the Engineering and Information Technologies Division and pre-register for class
Outreach & Advising Specialist
Office Phone: 423-697-2496
Need to Know
- Elite concentration admitting 24 applicants each fall
- Acceptance based on testing and interviews
- No college or work experience is required
- 3 Year Program – 5 Semesters Academic and Practical Information - 4 semesters of paid first hand experience at Volkswagen of America in Chattanooga
- Class will be Mon. – Fri. 7:45 A.M. – 2:45 PM (only schedule available)
- A conditional job offer will be made by Volkswagen upon successful completion of the program
- A.A.S degree from Chattanooga State with Mechatronic Certification from Volkswagen
- Certification through the German-American Chamber of Commerce, which allows the graduate to work abroad with Volkswagen.
The focused goal of the job is improving equipment functionality. Factories cannot afford to have industrial machinery out of service, and with production steadily increasing employment in the field of mechatronics is expected to grow seventeen percent by 2020. The reported median wage by the U.S. Department of Labor is $21.23 an hour.
- Volkswagen Skilled Team Member
- Automation Technician
- Manufacturing/Industrial Maintenance
For More Information Contact:
Coordinator of Automation Mechatronics Program
Office Phone: 423-582-3061