Commercial Truck Driving is a seven week certificate program that requires 222 clock hours for completion. Graduates are prepares to pass the Commercial Driving License (CDL) exam for Tennessee.
- Program Length 7.5 weeks (Certificate)
- Job Placement 100%
- Average Earnings $41,000 / yr
- Cost $1873
The Tennessee Technology Center at Chattanooga’s Commercial Truck Driving Program is designed to meet the needs of the trucking industry. The program stresses the basic training principles and skills required to operate commercial motor vehicles of all types and under all driving conditions. Students receive specialized training on the safe operation of a trailer including loading, unloading, backing and docking. Students also receive classroom training on all federal, state and local laws. The Commercial Truck Driving Program is one of the most popular programs in the Technology Center.
Before beginning the application process for the Tennessee Technology Center Truck Driving School, Students are encourage to contact the CDL office at (423) 875-8448 for important preliminary information that help decide if the program is right for you. Students must provide a current moving violation record from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and have no more than 3 speeding and/or accidents for the past three years or any alcohol or drug related convictions in the past 5 year. Students must be 21 years of age to be accepted into the CDL program and must pass a drug screen and a DOT physical.
According to the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development, employment opportunities for Tractor-Trailer drivers in Tennessee are expanding each year and will continue to do so in the future. Currently, the job placement rate is 100% and beginning drivers can expect to earn $37,000 to $45,000, which may be supplemented with safety bonuses and other incentives that are often offered by a number of companies.
The Commercial Truck Driving program offers two classes (7.5 weeks) during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students who meet the eligibility criteria for the class will be given an opportunity to register for one of the open seats during the enrollment period for each semester. Enrollment in each class is limited and is on a first come basis. Classes are offered in the day and evening.
- Hixson classes at 4913 Adams Road, Hixson, TN 37343
- 222 clock hours
|Semester||Day Class||Evening Class||Days|
|Fall (222 hours)||8:00 – 3:00pm||4:00 – 11:00pm||Monday - Friday|
|Spring (222 hours)||8:00 – 3:00pm||4:00 – 11:00pm||Monday - Friday|
|Summer (222 hours)||8:00 – 3:00pm||4:00 – 11:00pm||Monday - Friday|
1 semester - 222 clock hours-71/2 weeks
|Fall, Spring or Summer – 222 hours / Tuition - w/Insurance ($215.00)||$1,658.00|
|Copy of Motor Vehicle Record *||$ 5.00|
|DPA Permit Fee *||$ 20.00|
|CDL License Fee *||$ 55.00|
|Drug Screen Test & D.O.T. Physical*||$ 80.00|
Special Fees Charged in Addition to Maintenance and Tuition
- Credit by Examination Fee - The regular course fee is charged for each special examination and must be paid prior to taking the examination. Non-refundable. (See Academic Regulations.)
- Credit for Life Experience Fees - Assessment Fee for Experiential Learning $45.00. Experiential Learning Credit $15.00 per credit hour in excess of 3.0 credit hours. $90.00 maximum.
- High School Equivalency Test (Hi-SET) - $75
- Placement Test Fees - ACT - $45.00. (Refer to Admissions Policy.)
- Orientation and Organization
- Public Relations
- Preparation for CDL and Endorsement Test
- Map Reading
- DOT Regulations and Logging
- Freight Documents
- Coupling and Uncoupling
- Road Driving
- Weather and Road Conditions
- Vehicle and Vehicle Component Orientation