Dear Chattanooga State Family,
The first week of the second 7-week session has come and gone for those of you in 7-week classes. The second half of the semester is well on its way for those of you in 15 week classes. As we prepare for these last few weeks of class, I hope you take advantage of our many resources to help you be successful and achieve your goals.
You can do it. We are here to help.
Student Spotlight: Jennifer Mendez Sandoval
Achieve Your Goals
Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week
Let’s Move Week (Color Run, October 15, 4PM)
Student Resources—We’re Here to Help
Student Life Events and Activities
We are resilient. We are innovative. We are united. We are ChattState.
Rebecca Ashford, Ed.D.
Jennifer is a Gateway Scholar attending Chattanooga State after graduating from East Ridge High. She is an Engineering Technology major and says she is adjusting to college life nicely due to our campus's resources. At first glance, Jennifer has a quiet disposition, but once you strike up a conversation with her, you'll find she is delightful and inviting. Jennifer enjoys watching movies, cooking, and traveling when time permits and aspires to one day work for a reputable engineering firm.
Jennifer is our student spot spotlight of the week because she is driven, resilient, steadfast, and has grit. She is a hard worker with a great attitude and truly embodies the sentiment, "Good, better, best, never let it rest until your good is better, and your better is best". Jennifer has been a great asset to the Gateway Scholars and B.O.S.S. Programs and we are proud to have her a part of our Chattanooga State family. It is our pleasure to recognize her this week. Keep up the great work, Jennifer!
We have resources on campus to help you achieve your goals, whether you are in a 7-week class or a 15-week class, we are here to help you succeed!
- Math Center
Located on the second floor of the IMC building, in room 225, the Math Center available to help students with all levels of Math. The center is equipped with over 180 computers for student use, and Math faculty and tutors are always available to assist students.
Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Whether you are having trouble getting started on an assignment or have a complete draft ready for review, our tutors are happy to help with any any written assignment for any class.
Chattanooga State offers FREE on-demand, online tutoring through Tutor.com. The service is easy to use and can be accessed from your instructor’s syllabus in eLearn. Tutors are available to you 24/7.
Available computer labs across campus
The library will be open and computers will be available for homework and online/virtual class attendance.
Engineering and IT students will have access to Rooms 215 and 216 in the Wacker Institute on a first-come, first-served basis.
TCAT students will have access to TCAT 60 and TCAT 38 computer labs. Please note, these labs may be closed for testing purposes a few times per week. You should confirm hours of operation with your TCAT instructors.
Additional space may be made available as the need arises.
The Student Support Center at Chattanooga State Community College will sponsor its annual Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week event during October 18-21. This multi club, organization and department event was carefully planned out to engage and educate students, faculty, staff, and community members about the plight of hunger and homelessness in our area.
Area Food Bank
- Sign up to volunteer with the Student Support Center at the Chattanooga Area Food Bank on Monday, October 18.
- Sign up to volunteer with the BOSS program participants at the Chattanooga Area Food Bank on Tuesday, October 19.
Student Support Center
- Sign up to volunteer with the Student Support Center to make PB&J sandwiches on Wednesday, October 20.
Join the Department of SLE for our first annual Color Run. Only 45 spots available, so signup now! The color run is a non-competitive walk, run, or jog around the campus. If participating, wear a white shirt that you want to tie-dye with various amount of colors. Sunglasses are encouraged for eye protection, but not required. The SLE group hopes to see you soon! Ready, Set, Run!!
- Tutoring: ChattState offers in-person and virtual tutoring services.
- Emergency Aid: The Student Support Center is available to assist students struggling to meet their basic needs. Please use the Wellness Check on TigerWeb to let us know if you need assistance.
- Technology Support: Devices (laptops, hotspots, etc.) are available through the College. To request a device, complete the technology request form. Technology will continue to be available for students as long as they remain enrolled.
- Support Services: Chattanooga State is dedicated to delivering support services and resources to assist our students. Visit the virtual Student Support Center to learn more about the many services offered.
- Academic Resources: Visit the Fall 2021 Update page for a listing of academic resources, including links to the Math Center, Andrews Reading and Writing Center, the Testing Center, Kolwyck Library, and more.
- Student Assistance Library Campus Guide: We now have a Campus Guide for students to provide assistance with eLearn / Virtual Classes / Proctoring / Accessibility / etc.
- Career Services Center: The Career Services Center is available to provide services online or by phone to Chattanooga State students, alumni, faculty and staff. Services include career counseling & assistance with selecting a major, job search planning, resume writing assistance, interview skills, and more. Visit JOBlink to view job and internship opportunities. To schedule an appointment for any service, please call 423-697-4421 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Career Services Virtual Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Food: The Tiger Cupboard provides supplemental food and other necessities for students in need.
- Tennessee Board of Regents Student Resources: We know that the global COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak has been causing a great deal of uncertainty, anxiety, and stress for students across Tennessee. Please know that you are not alone.
- Ride CARTA for Free: Chattanooga State students may ride CARTA for free with a valid ChattState ID through August 31, 2022. This agreement covers all routes.
All students are welcome to join! Check out your Student Life Calendar of Events—we have lots of events scheduled—join us!