Preliminary Step: Complete Your Application File
- Potential students who wish to appeal academic suspension must complete an application for Admission or Re-Admission at Chattanooga State Community College as a degree-seeking student, not transient. Please contact Admissions at 423-697-4401 or apply online at (https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/admissions/apply).
- Individuals may be allowed to participate in an appeal hearing only if his/her admission file is complete (all required documents should have been submitted, i.e., transcripts from all schools attended, ACT scores, other).
Tuition & Fees: If your appeal is approved, you are expected to register and pay tuition and fees. Please allow up to 24 hours for the suspension hold to be lifted by the Records office. Financial aid should be prior approved.
Collect Documents to Present at Appeals Hearing
- Letter (3 copies): Compose a letter to the Academic Appeals Committee explaining your failing grade point average. Describe extenuating circumstances surrounding your academic performance.
- Transcripts (3 copies): Secure transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended.
- Chattanooga State transcripts may be downloaded from the college’s web site.
- Official and unofficial transcripts must contain student name and identification number.
- “RAP” sheets may be provided along with a transcript, but not in place of a transcript.
- Academic Plan (3 copies): This is done with your advisor. Include your current academic plan, indicating specific courses and recommendations by your advisor, which supports your career goals.
- Placement test scores (3 copies): If applicable, include placement test scores (ACT, Compass, etc).
- Optional documentation you may wish to bring:
- Reference letters from previous instructors.
- Other documentation (i.e., doctor’s statement) you deem appropriate.
- Make sure all required information has been submitted to the Admissions Office before making an appointment.
- Obtain all necessary documents (above) before making an appointment.
Schedule an Appointment for Your Hearing
Call 423.697.4483 (Student Support Center) for an appointment to meet with the Appeals Committee.
Present Your Case to the Academic Appeals Committee (at appointed time)
- At the conclusion of the hearing the committee will inform you of the decision.
- Possible outcomes from an appeal hearing may be, but are not limited to, the following:
- Academic Suspension is upheld.
- Student is allowed admission or re-admission to college with possible restrictive hours in coursework.