The Chattanooga State Adult Education Department provides learner-centered educational opportunities that are designed to:
- Improve basic educational skills
- Help adults obtain a High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma
- Enhance career opportunities through college enrollment
- Increase workforce literacy skills
- Enrich the life skills of the people we serve
Classroom instruction focuses on individual needs through traditional and innovative methods of delivery. In the adult education program, everyone is recognized as a valuable participant in a community of learners where all members support and encourage each other to achieve their educational goals. Chattanooga State Adult Education honors the diversity of our students, our instructors, and our community.
Types of Programs Offered
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) Classes teaching basic skills in reading, writing, and mathematics
- High School Equivalency (HSE) Preparation Classes for the HiSET® and GED® tests
- Official HSE Practice Test to qualify for the HiSET®exam
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes for English Language Learners, with focus on English Literacy and Civics
- Bridges to Success ESOL program for English Language Learners, with focus on civic engagement and transition to HSE and Post-secondary education
Adult Education has two main sites:
Chattanooga State East Campus
7158 Lee Highway
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Chattanooga, TN 37404
In addition, Adult Education partners with community organizations to offer classes at Northside Neighborhood House, Salvation Army at Eastlake, 1st Baptist Church of Soddy-Daisy, Olivet Baptist Church, Southside Recreation Center, the Career Center at Eastgate, and Hamilton County Jail.
Most classes are offered at both the Chattanooga State East Campus and at the St. Andrew's Center site, with morning and evening schedules available. Classes are also offered at several other sites around Hamilton County.
- Completion of an 8-hour enrollment process is required for entry in the ABE/HSE and ESOL programs. The process includes one 4-hour session including application, orientation, and a short CASAS practice test; and a second 4-hour session including online CASAS assessment, counseling, and class assignment.
- Prospective students may complete the enrollment process at the Chattanooga State East Campus or at the St. Andrews site for any of our ABE/ HSE or ESOL classes.
- Students will be assigned to an appropriate class upon completion of the enrollment process. In most cases, they will begin their scheduled classes the following week.
ABE/HSE Enrollment To begin the enrollment process, call the Adult Education office at East Campus at 423-697-2529 or St. Andrews at 423-643-0108 for information about enrollment session dates and times. Adult Education accepts new ABE/HSE student enrollments every two weeks, subject to class availability. ESOL Enrollment To get started in the ESOL program, call the Adult Education office at East Campus at 423-697-2529 or St. Andrews at 423-643-0108 for information about enrollment sessions. Adult Education accepts new ESOL enrollments every two weeks, subject to class availability.