Financial Aid Eligibility
- In order to receive Financial Aid, students must be in a degree-seeking program such as Associate of Science, General Transfer, or eligible TCAT program.
- You Will Not Be Eligible For Aid If You Are Classified As "Special" Or "Undecided."
- Any necessary Program or Major changes must be made at the beginning of the semester. Contact the Records Office for additional information.
- Students may receive Financial Aid for up to 30 remedial/developmental attempts (I's, E's, F's, W's, audits and letter grades count as attempts).
- There is a lifetime limit for the Federal PELL Grant. Students eligible to receive the Federal PELL Grant may only receive PELL for an equivalent of 12 full-time semesters for their entire educational career. Students attending in a part-time status will receive a pro-rated amount, until their awards equal 12 full-time awards. Student's may check their PELL lifetime eligibility at http://nslds.ed.gov
- Students cannot receive Federal Title IV financial aid for a 3rd repeat of a previously passed class. A withdrawal is not considered as an attempt for the purpose of this federal policy.
- Students cannot receive Federal Title IV financial aid if they have past loans that are in DEFAULT. Check your loan status at http://nslds.ed.gov
You Must Officially Withdraw From Classes If You Do Not Plan To Attend
- We accept your financial aid for you to confirm you in your classes, unless you are offered loans. Loans are offered in your TigerWeb and you must accept them.
- If you decide not to enroll at Chattanooga State, you must withdraw/drop ALL courses before the first day of the session to avoid any fee-related charges.
- If you fail to complete your classes for any reason, you may have to repay a portion of your funds.
- Your schedule must be finalized by the 14th day of classes (census date).
- Your financial aid cannot be increased after the 14th day of classes (census date). You will be responsible for payment of additional classes after this date.
- You must be enrolled in at least six (6) semester credit hours to be eligible for, and receive student loans and many scholarships. (TN Promise requires full-time enrollment at 12 credit hours)
Student Federal Financial Aid Award Provisions
- The awards listed on the award letter are tentative offers based on full-time enrollment. If a student has received their excess financial aid check and drops or adds a class during the drop/add period, they will be responsible for the change in amount of monies owed. Financial aid funds will be adjusted to reflect actual enrollment after the drop/add period.
- Students must attend all classes for which they register. If a student withdraws on or after the first day of class, but never attends the class, that class will not count when calculating financial aid eligibility.
Important Annual Dates for Financial Aid
- January 1st - the new FAFSA is available for the following academic year (Fall Semester)
- February is Financial aid month - complete the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year. (Fall semester)
- February 15th - Priority date for scholarship applications for the upcoming academic year (Fall semester)
- February 15th - Deadline for TN Promise to complete the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year (Fall semester)
- *March 1st - Priority date for summer semester financial aid documents for verification
- *April 1st - Priority date for summer semester financial aid appeals (SAP appeals)
- April 1st - Deadline for TN Promise to submit 8 hours of community service *if attending full-time in summer semester*
- *July 1st - Priority date for fall semester financial aid documents for verification
- *July 15th - Priority date for fall semester financial aid appeals (SAP appeals)
- August 1st - Deadline for TN Promise to submit financial aid documents for verification
- August 1st - Deadline for TN Promise to submit 8 hours of community service for the fall semester.
- October 1st - The 2017-2018 FAFSA will be available for students to fill out for the fall of 2017 aid year.
- *November 1st - Priority date for spring semester financial aid documents for verification (transfer and new students).
- November 1st - Scholarship application opens for the next fall semester
- *December 1st - Priority date for spring semester financial aid appeals (SAP appeals)
- December 1st - Deadline for TN Promise to submit 8 hours of community service for the spring semester.
*4 to 6 weeks are required for appeal decision and financial aid documents processing (priority date indicates appeal will be reviewed for the upcoming semester eligibility prior to the fee payment deadline)