Chattanooga State School Code: 003998
Most Federal aid is need-based and requires you to demonstrate that your family income is within certain levels to qualify for federal assistance. To maximize your award possibilities, complete documentation as soon after January 1 as possible.
Complete the FAFSA at http://fafsa.ed.gov. Chattanooga State code: 003998.
- For 2018-2019: Apply between October 1 and January 17 to ensure that your request receives an early review and that you receive the maximum amount of aid available to you.
For 2019-2020: Apply between October 1 and January 17 to ensure that your request receives an early review and that you receive the maximum amount of aid available to you.
- Apply for a FSA ID through http://fsaid.ed.gov. Remember your FSA ID to access your FAFSA and other federal websites.
The Federal Processing Center analyzes your FAFSA information to determine an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) based on the federally mandated formula. The EFC is the amount of support that you and your family are expected to provide for your educational expenses.
- You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree or certificate program to receive financial aid. Contact the admissions office at 423-697-4401 for questions concerning admission application or declaring a major.
- Check with the Financial Aid Office - additional documents may be required to complete your Financial Aid Packet that are not required in the Admissions Office (e.g. tax return transcripts, verification worksheets, etc.)
Apply for a Chattanooga State scholarship in TigerWeb by March 1, 2019 for the fall of 2019. A FAFSA must be on file for you to be considered eligible for a Chattanooga State scholarship. Scholarships will be awarded during the summer for the upcoming fall semester.
You will receive your User ID and password when your admissions application is complete.
- Log on to TigerWeb(link is external)
- Select "Self Service Banner"
- Click "Financial Aid"
- Click "Financial Aid Status"
- Select the appropriate aid year
- Review student requirements for the status of your application
Additional Information or documentation may be needed to complete your application. Review all "Active Messages" on your financial aid status page for additional items needed. Respond to all requests as quickly as possible. Any delay in submitting additional documents will delay your financial aid award.
Verification When the Central Processing System (CPS) processes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid it selects applications for a process called verification. If your application is selected for verification, additional documents (copies of federal tax returns transcripts from the IRS, W2s, SNAP documents, etc) will be required to complete your financial aid application. If selected, the verification process must be completed prior to your financial aid being awarded. Depending on when all documents are turned into the financial aid office, the process takes three (3) to five (5) weeks before a student is awarded.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is when a student is not meeting the federal guidelines to receive financial aid and must appeal to the Financial Aid Office. The appeal form is in the student's TigerWeb account. An Educational Plan and documentation will be required to process the appeal.
Reasons for Appeal:
- A student must have passed 67% of their overall attempted credit hours. Attempted hours are any classes with a passing grade, F's, W's, Audits, and Incomplete.
- Not meeting GPA requirements for overall attempted hours.
- Once a student reaches 90 overall attempted hours, they will be placed on MAX TIME.
The type and amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive will be posted on your self-service account under Financial Aid. Your awards are based on an established cost of attendance and your expected family contribution determined by the FAFSA.
The Federal Loans must be accepted or declined utilizing your "self-service account" in TigerWeb under Financial Aid Status and Accept Award Offer. If you accept the loans, you will need to go to http://studentloans.gov to complete the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note(MPN). Your loan will not be authorized until confirmation of the Entrance Counseling and MPN being completed is received.
Register for classes in accordance with the instructions provided by the Admissions Office. If you still owe a balance after your financial aid has been applied, you will need to pay it at that time to confirm you are in those classes. If your financial aid exceeds the cost of your tuition, you will be automatically confirmed.