Students learn the basic skills in computer operations needed for employment as entry-level computer support specialists in positions such as PC hardware technicians, or a computer technology specialists.
First semester coursework covers computer concepts, keyboarding, word processing, spreadsheets, multi-media presentations, and an introduction to operating systems. The second semester covers the fundamentals of system set-up, hardware assembly, maintenance and troubleshooting. The final semester introduces the student to the basics of network installation, configuration, administration, and maintenance. The program's ultimate goal is to prepare students to sit for industry certifications such as the A+ Hardware and Software exam and the Network+ exam. Only full-time day classes are available on the main campus.
Job Placement %:
The COT program is for students interested in pursuing a career as an entry-level computer repair technician. The mission of the program is to provide the technical instruction and skill development necessary for the student to become gainfully employed in the computer operations technology field. The program is designed to give students the technical training to operate, build, install, troubleshoot, repair, network, and service computer systems found in the current workplace. Students will experience realistic “hands-on” application of the software, hardware, and operations of computers used in business and industry today.
The program curriculum begins with an introduction to computer concepts and applications which include word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and e-mail. Instruction continues with training for computer hardware and software service and repair in preparation for the Comptia A+ Certification. The last semester is an introduction to Networking and will focus on preparing for the Comptia Network+ certification.
- Responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing personal computer equipment, including hardware, software, operating systems and networking
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot all computer related problems
- Called upon to fix computers in a variety of settings including house calls and working in a computer lab or shop
- Ensure customer satisfaction by advising customers on preventative maintenance and configurations which may impact product performance
- Use effective, positive interpersonal communication skills
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in the 2012-11 Occupational Outlook Handbook, the median hourly wages of computer repairer technician were $18.18. The middle 50 percent earned between $14.17 and $23.20.
Students may enroll during the fall, spring or summer term provided space is available.$ Students who are eligible to enroll will be given an opportunity to register for one of the open seats during the enrollment period for each term.
- Full-time classes
- Day classes Only
- Enrollment is limited to 44 students in each class
|Semester||Day Class||Evening Class||Days|
|Fall (450 hours)||7:45am – 2:30pm||Not Available||Monday - Friday|
|Spring (450 hours)||7:45am – 2:30pm||Not Available||Monday - Friday|
|Summer (390 hours)||7:45am – 2:45pm||Not Available||Monday - Friday|
|1||Small Computer Repair Tool Kit (available in bookstore)|
|1||Anti-Static Wrist Strap (available in bookstore)|
|*Fall 450 hours||$1, 192.00|
|Spring 450 hours||$1,192.00|
|Summer 390 hours||$1,192.00|
Textbooks for this program cost approximately $700.00
- Building a Foundation with Office 2013: The Basics with eLab ISBN: 1-59136-562-72.
- A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC 8th Ed, Andrews, (Bundle: ebook w/access code) ISBN: 1-133-13508-1
- TestOut Labsim Software for A+ (Testout,com)
- Mike Meyers’ CompTIA Network+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks, 3rd Edition (Exam N10-005) ISBN: 0071789111
- Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks Lab Manual, 3rd Edition (Exam N10-005) ISBN: 0071788832
- TestOut Labsim Software for Net+ (Testout.com)
Module 1: Introduction to Computers and Microsoft Office Applications
Module 2: Introduction to A+ Essentials-801
Module 3: A+ Essentials-801 (continued)
Module 4: A+ Practical Applications-802
Module 5: Network+N 10-005