Radiation Protection Concentration
Engineering Technology A.A.S.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Radiation Protection offers students a unique opportunity to obtain high-tech and cutting-edge training that will prepare the graduate for any organization or business that handles radioactive substances to include advanced manufacturing, life sciences, research reactor, the nuclear power industry, hazardous waste removal companies, and government agencies. The Radiation Protection concentration will also provide students a broad education in engineering technology fundamentals such as computer tools and applications, engineering drawings, and analysis of mechanical systems. Technicians with the educational background this program provides are in in high demand now, and with the rising use of radiation in diagnostics, medical treatment and applications, and future expansions of nuclear power technology, this demand will remain high for years to come. Therefore, job placement prospects are highly favorable and starting salaries reflect this high demand.
Engineering courses not for men only.
Radiation Protection Technician, Health Physics Technician, Industrial Hygiene Technician and Nuclear Power Plant Operations
Summary of Required Hours
- ENGL 1010 - Composition I (3)
- * ET 115 - Computers in Engineering Technology (3)
- * MATH 1710 - Pre-Calculus I (3)
- * NP 101 - Nuclear Seminar (1)
- * RP 104 - Radiation Protection and Radiological Health Administration (4)
- DD 124 - CAD Engineering Drawing II (3)
- * MATH 1720 - Pre-Calculus II (4)
- * PHYS 1030 - Concepts of Physics (4)
- * RP 154 - Nuclear Physics (4)
- * RP 204 - Introduction to Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene (4)
- MD 134 - Statics and Strength of Materials I (3)
- ENGL 2710 - Technical Reports (3)
- * ET 215 - Statistics and Quality Control for Engineering Technology (3)
- * RP 246 - Radiological Aspects of Reactor Designs (4)
- * RP 235 - Radiation Chemistry & Biology 4
Total Hours: 64
Prereq: For DD 124 - CAD Engineering Drawing II is DD 114 - CAD Engineering Drawing I
*For NUCP Certification, a grade of B or better is required in this course.